Ewhurst History Society

« November 1917

December 1917

News from the Front

It was announced that Private Nelson Herbert Whitty, Somerset Light Infantry had been killed in action at Jerusalem on December 10th. He had originally joined the Gloucester Regimnet and was transferred to the Somerset Light Infantry whilst serving in Egypt. He was 40 years old and left a wife and five children. The Surrey Times reported that he had been member of the Ewhurst Band for over 49 years. His younger brother, Ernest, had been Killed in Action in October 1915


It was reported that Company Quartermaster Sergeant Ernest Alfred Goodwin, serving with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps had received a gunshot wound on 1st December. He had been evacuated to England, where he was treated at a military hospital in Manchester. He was one of three brothers, the sons of George, a gardener, and Emma Goodwin who lived at Rectory Lodge and had enlisted in September 1914. His elder brother, Percy, a Lance Corporal with The Queens had been injured in 1916 and subsequently discharged as no longer physically fit. The eldest brother Charles George was in the Navy. He had joined as a ‘boy’ in 1904 and served until 1926.


1st December 1917 - Volunteer Smoker

About 100 were present at a smoking concert held in the Bulls Head on Wednesday 28th evening in connection with the 6th Battalion Surrey Volunteers. Captain Campbell Taylor presided, other officers present being Lieutenants Gibbon and Gossgae. Among those contributing tot the enjoyable evening were Lt Gibbons, The Rev. E.A. Hollins, (Vicar of Dunsfold), Sergt. Major Pryke, Sergt Coran. Pte Boyd, Wood, H. Kelf, Mr Warrington and Mr James (licensee). In the course of a few remarks the chairman an earnest appeal for recruits. A silver cup which is to be competed for by the Battalion in firing was exhibited for inspection as well as and illuminated address which is to be presented to Sergt. Major Bell in recognition of his service in training the men. Sergt Major Bell has been blinded in the fighting at the front and while at Cranleigh instructed the volunteers in drilling etc. Light refreshments were served and the proceedings which opened with the National Anthem concluded with ‘Old Lang Syne’